These wraps are so easy to make and very versatile. They are great for lunches, dinners and snacks and have even been known to eat them for breakfast too. I like to make a quite a few of these and then to have them on stand by in the fridge or pop some in the freezer between baking parchment and pull them out when required.
I love to fill these with salad, hummus, Mexican and bean dishes or whatever i have in the fridge. I like to add fresh or even dried herbs and spices to my mixture to give them extra flavour or to complement your meal. For example coriander and chilli for Mexican food, cumin and coriander for curries, chives and parsley for summer and salad dishes.
These wraps only have a few ingredients so are a great store cupboard standby and easy to whip up. These also also free from gluten, dairy, egg, corn and suitable for gluten free, dairy free and vegan diets. I lived on these when on my elimination diet as a perfect option.
Gluten, Dairy Free, Vegan Wraps
- frying pan – ideally non stick
- mixing bowl or jug
- fish slice to flip the pancake
- 1 cup gram flour/chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp of flax seed
- 1 cup water you may need to add a little more depending on the consistency of the mixture and how thick you like it.
- Your choice of herbs of spice you can be totally creative here and go with your tastes or meal choice – you can of course have them plain without herbs or spices. I love chilli, dried or fresh coriander, parsley, chives, chilli – the list is endless! have fun.
- In a jug or bowl, mix together the chickpea flour with the water to remove the lumps – i use a whisk for this. Add the flax seed and mix well. Leave to sit for a minimum of 5 minutes if not longer if you can. This will allow the flax seed to activate and will act as your egg substitute and thicken the mixture too. Add your herbs or spices if required and stir well.
- Ideally use an oil like sunflower or rapeseed or coconut oil and place a small amount in a small hot pancake pan or large depending on the size of the wrap. Pour some of the batter in and pour round like making pancakes. Keep this on a medium heat and the mixture has gone translucent loosen with a spatula and flip it over and cook the other side.
- Continue the process until the mixture has gone.
- You can store these in an airtight container for 5-7 days in the refrigerator or place between greaseproof paper and place in an airtight bag or container in the freezer and remove as necessary.