This soup is such a lovely warming dish and full of flavour and nutrients. This is a fabulous choice for the autumn months with the abundance of pumpkins and butternut squash are around – both work well in this dish.
This dish is naturally gluten and dairy free and suitable for vegans. This freezes well too.
Butternut Squash and Lentil Soup
This dish is naturally gluten and dairy free and also suitable for vegans. This soup freezes well too.
- Chopping Board
- Blender of Stick Blender
- 1 tbsp oil of your choice
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic – chopped or crushed
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp curry paste
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 litre of water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the onion in a little bit of oil until soft
- add the garlic and lightly cook for a minute
- add the tomato puree and stir in
- add the spices and curry paste and stir and continue to cook for a further minute and you can smell the spices cooking off and becoming fragrant
- Add the raw butternut squash pieces to the pan
- add the water, stock and red lentils and add the lid to the pan and simmer for 20 minutes
- take a blender or stick blender and blend until smooth
- season to taste
- should you wish to freeze this soup, wait until it is completley cool – pour into suitable containers and freeze for 3 months.