I love all things curry and thought a chickpea curried pasty would be a fab idea.
You can choose if to make your own chickpea curry – see my recipe at Quick Chickpea Curry – Gluten Free & Vegan
or as a time saver i have used a can of chickpea curry from Geo Organic chickpea curry. I particular love this brand of chickpea curry and sometimes we all need a cooking hack right! The beauty is i can knock this up in 40 minutes from start to finish and on the table.
Gluten Free, Vegan Chickpea Curried Pasty
- rolling pin
- cutting board
- food processor optional
- 250 g Gluten Free Plain Flour plus extra for dusting.
- 1/2 tsp xanthum gum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 180 g vegan hard margarine at room temperature butter can be used if not needing it to be vegan
- 75 ml of ice cold water
- 1 Can of Chickpea Curry
- I like to make my pastry in a food processor as i find it quick and easy but this is up to you. If you are doing it in a food processor i put the all the ingredients in a bowl apart from the water and whizz it together to make breadcrumbs and ideally use cold chunks of butter or vegan butter. Then take ice cold water (or even better use ice flakes in water) and whizz in to form a dough and done. If i am in a real hurry i've even managed to roll this out without chilling if its managed to be cold enough but ideally chill it in the fridge for 1/2 hour.
- If making by hand – Combine the flour, xanthum gum and salt in a bowl, and the margarine or butter and rub into breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre and add the ice cold water and knead for a moment. Make a disc and ball and wrap in cling film and place in the refrigerator to chill for 30 mins.
- Roll out the pastry onto baking parchment so you do not have to handle the pastry and more than you need to! Gluten free pastry is not kind and cracks easily so i find this step helps and you can lift them onto a tray later. Cut your pastry into small tea plate circles or rough shapes or go for a large circle. Pour your filling cold from the can and mix this first in a bowl so its evenly distributed. This should make 2 very large pasties or 4 smaller ones. Spoon some mixture onto one half of the circle and then fold over being careful not to overfill. Put a little water or milk alternative and fold over the pasty and press down the edges to seal. Continue to make the others and put an egg wash over the top or if your vegan use milk alternative.
- Lift your pasty on the baking parchment onto a baking tray and place in the oven on a middle shelf and cook for 20-25 mins until golden brown.